Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"The Bee Enslavement"

I'm not really sure what to think about this, but it turns out that vegans who eat honey are like vegetarians who eat fish (meaning, not 'real' practicers of their chosen diets). I confess, I found this to be extreme upon discovery, but I think I've been persuaded. It's very easy to read this website and scoff at it - I'll admit it's a little absurd. I scoffed, too (especially at the bit containing the title of this entry). But I also recognize that the author has a point (whether or not you agree is entirely your choice) and that if I'm going to call myself a vegan, I'd better stop eating honey. Also surprising is that refined cane sugar is not vegan, because it is processed using charred animal bones. This sounds an awful lot like an urban legend to me, but I've read it in multiple sources and I'm starting to think that not everyone can be making it up.

So there you have it: no more honey, and no more refined cane sugar. Whoopee. 

One last thing - there won't be any updates (or at least any with photos) until Sunday. I'm going out of town (I am, after all, a traveling vegan) to visit my uncle in Meersburg. It should be extremely interesting to see how my staunchly German (and thus, staunchly meat-eating) relatives view my new and improved dietary habits. More on that to come. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment