Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 17, or "Spreading the Good Word"

Amen, hallelujah. Instead of 'defending' myself for being vegan like I usually do, today I actually found myself advocating it as a new way of life that has a lot to offer. It's true: I feel amazing, and I'm really not missing any of the things I used to love to eat. Part of the reason I don't feel like I'm missing out is because of how good my body feels; the other 82% of it is probably due to the incredible substitutions out there for vegans. 

Even though I felt rejuvenated and recommitted yesterday to my personal health crusade, I have to admit that I was still craving a good German sausage after spending all weekend at the Bürgerfest downtown. Conveniently, the Biomarkt sells a tofu version of one of my favorite sausages, which I've been hesitant to try but finally felt desperate enough to go for. The result was exciting - I may never go back to the original version.

Preparing for my 'bratwurst' sandwich:




I can't wait to try out the other kinds. . .

Also, I successfully went out to dinner in Regensburg this evening and was able to eat almost exactly what I used to order at my favorite little Asian restaurant, with a few minor adjustments. For the last six months, I have consistently ordered the chicken and vegetable curry with rice. Today, I asked if they could make it with tofu and "ohne Tierprodukte" (without animal products). Though there was a bit of initial confusion (the Vietnamese man thought I was asking if tofu was an animal product and explained very slowly that it's actually made of soy), I eventually got the right point across. The dish tasted almost exactly the same, but the sauce was much thinner - I think they must put cream in the original version. In any event, it was really good! I'm so glad I know I can still eat there.


Tomorrow is the big Fourth of July party at school for all the Americans. It should be interesting trying to navigate amongst the grilled hot dogs and chocolate cupcakes (and by interesting, I might actually mean terrible). Who knows, maybe they'll have some watermelon?

No comments:

Post a Comment