Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 24, or "An Actual Traveling Vegan!"

Today my grandma and I took the train down to Lake Constance to visit my great-uncle and his wife. I was pretty nervous about having to try to eat vegan at their house, mostly because I was worried about inconveniencing my aunt, who is the quintessential German cook and can prepare any and every traditional dish. I don't know how much you know about traditional German dishes, but I can say with confidence that almost every one contains some form of meat, eggs, cheese, cream, or butter. Except the potato salad.

I had sent my relatives a heads-up email about my new dietary habits, and my aunt really went out of her way to accommodate me. In addition to buying tofu (and having absolutely no idea what to do with it), she also offered to try to make me spaetzle (the traditional German egg noodle) without the eggs. The result was actually strikingly similar to the original, but it stuck together more. We also had lentils and a huge salad with lettuce from her friend's garden and tomatoes so ripe I could have cried.


No comments:

Post a Comment