Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 1, or "Hey This Is Easy"

My thirty days of vegan-ness have begun! 

To prepare for the coming month, I made a special trip to the City Biomarkt yesterday to check out my options in soy and organic products. And by the looks of things, getting to shop at that store is reason enough for going vegan. The store seriously smells wholesome. It's not as big as it looks from the outside, but it has all manner of healthy must-haves for the TDC. I had to restrain myself at the sight of everything and resist the urge to buy too much, partially because the prices are exorbitant, and mostly because I only had 15 Euros on me. (Good thing.) Among the things I purchased: two pears, a grapefruit, an instant vegan-vegetable soup, agave nectar (thanks to high praise from the Skinny Bitches), and two types of veggie/tofu burgers from the refrigerated section. 

Today I went to the bigger, more reasonably priced grocery store in town to buy the main ingredients for my new vegan-style lunches (aka salads): lettuce, cherry tomatoes, a mini cucumber, artichoke hearts, green olives, a tiny, fancy bottle of extra-virgin olive oil, and some delicious walnut-infused white vinegar. One of the things I have to caution against for the next thirty days is food boredom, or feeling like I don't have any options. I'll be eating all my meals at home, so I didn't feel bad splurging on the artichoke hearts. I also picked up a package of whole wheat pasta, an avocado, some vegan whole-wheat bread, and a can of corn. 

Lunch:



The menu for dinner tonight is going to be whole wheat pasta with sautéed tomatoes and zucchini, with a side of steamed broccoli. At work this morning, my boss gave me two enormous containers filled with strawberries: her mother went strawberry picking and brought back too many strawberries for the family to consume. So for dessert, a handful of the freshest berries around. Lecker.

Dinner:




1 comment:

  1. The salad looks delish, please make it when you return for dinner parties to come!

    ReplyDelete