Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 6, or "Way Too Much Cereal"

Yesterday (Day 6) was pretty rough. I spent the whole entire day in my room, working on a presentation I have to give tomorrow on "Youth Politics in East Germany, 1945-1953." Oh, boy. Needless to say I still found plenty of time to eat (and photograph what I was eating). 

At this point I should probably let you in on a little secret: I cannot control myself around cereal. I thought that maybe this new way of eating I'm trying out would cure me - that I would be so healthy and fit that the thought of only one bowl of cereal would be perfectly satisfying. In fact, it actually worked on Day 4. I had one bowl of cereal with soy milk and bananas, and that was it. This was a small miracle. Unfortunately, it did not recur the following day. I had one bowl of cereal with blackberries in the morning, yes. Followed by a second. And then that afternoon, for my snack. . . the rest of the box. Now, to be fair, it was a very small box. But still, way too much cereal. But I'm holding out hope that someday, I will be able to purchase a box of cereal and have it last for days--days! At least like, four days. Wouldn't that be something. . .

For lunch (at this point I hadn't had too much cereal and was still feeling good) I made myself a veggie sandwich, but this time I cooked up one of the veggie burgers I bought at the Biomarkt to put on it. It was delicious! For toppings, I used a few slices of avocado, some cucumber, a few artichoke hearts, and a grainy mustard. Voila!



Unfortunately, several hours after this is when the cereal monger crept into my head and told me to eat some more delicious müsli. For this, my dear reader(s), you will have to forgive me, because I had planned on making a delicious vegan pasta for dinner that I was going to photograph quite nicely. But by six o'clock, I just wasn't hungry enough to make a big production. So instead, I whipped up a random dinner of cucumber salad and a tofu-vegetable patty with ketchup for dipping (sounds gross, but it was actually great):


My brain was pretty much dead by dinner, as I had just read about 75 pages worth of research (in German) and tried to tease out the important points for my presentation. I crawled into bed and decided to start rereading Twilight, so you know it was bad. But around eight, I remembered that soy ice cream in the freezer. . .



Topped with blueberries, half a banana, and a sprinkle of cinnamon, it definitely hit the spot! I see no reason to return to dairy if I can have this dessert and eat it, too.

1 comment:

  1. ok so i thought i was the only one that had the problem of not being able to eat only one bowl of cereal....i ALWAYS want another. i thought it was cause im greedy and just like the taste and may not have actually been hungry......but in my opinion thats a valid reason to eat (right.....) anywho im glad you have that problem too although you seem to be fighting it. support group to follow

    ReplyDelete