Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 10, or "A Vegan Goes to Munich"

Today I went to Munich to meet up with a friend from high school for the afternoon. Still thinking about the Saftladen's "vegan sushi," I suggested we go to Japanese for lunch, since it's nearly impossible to find any good sushi in Regensburg. Against my better judgment, I admitted to him that I'm trying to be vegan at the moment. He actually thought my thirty day trial is a pretty good idea, but vehemently hopes that I will at least tone it down to "will only eat organic, free-range meat products," after thirty days, which is still a possibility, I suppose. If that ends up being the case, I will really only eat meat I cook myself, and dairy products I buy myself. Or, as Chris pointed out, I could also eat at those "hippie restaurants" that say on the menu that the chicken is free-range and the produce locally grown. 

Chris also felt it necessary to point out that one of my bracelets is made of leather. This presents a dilemma. I really like this bracelet, and I already own it (as well as a small collection of other leather items - a purse, a few pairs of shoes). I think at this point, I will just have to move forward with a refusal to add any new items to the leather crew. Thanks to my mother, who is disgusted by the very idea, I don't own anything with fur. I also want to be more careful about what kinds of soaps, shampoos, and make-up I buy. I might actually take the "This Product Not Tested On Animals" label seriously from now on.

The sushi restaurant we found had a pretty decent array of vegetarian options, and I got a delectable spinach roll, which is something I'd never had before. I'm still not crazy about seaweed salad, but I did my best to enjoy the sliminess (I had to put on a good face to the still-dubious, beef-donburi-ordering Chris). 

Tonight I'm going to have the leftover salad from last night for dinner, and look up recipes for the vegan cooking and baking afternoon Claudiu and I have planned for tomorrow. *Sigh.*

No comments:

Post a Comment