Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 5, or "A Vegan Tent?!"

Today was my favorite day of being vegan yet. I got up early and went to the Biomarkt (I know, it's becoming like a daily occurrence, but I monitor my spending). Today's shopping list: a lime, a grapefruit, two bananas, some müsli (German cereal), the promised Tofutta ice cream, vegan butter (for veggie sandwiches), and a different kind of chocolate bar. Then I went home and had breakfast - said müsli with half a banana and soy milk:



And I couldn't resist trying the new chocolate bar, which I give TWO THUMBS UP! It tastes just as good as regular milk chocolate.



For lunch, it was back to the old salad staple, which is still not even getting remotely old. It's just so satisfying, and for so little work! 



But my favorite part about being vegan today happened later on in the day. I was going back to the open-air concert (better weather!), but this time I knew what I was in for and decided to bring my own dinner, rather than risk becoming hungry/crabby due to the delicious scent of German sausages on the grill wafting over the fairground. I packed myself a veggie sandwich (whole grain bread, vegan butter, cucumber, avocado, salt and pepper). Little did I know what a treat I was in for at the concert!

When we arrived at the island, we made our usual rounds among the tent stands filled with student activists preaching communism, fair trade, or Save the Whales! (yesterday we were accosted by members of Greenpeace). But today, to my utter surprise and delight, there was an ENTIRE TENT devoted to veganism! Well, it was partially devoted to veganism, and partially to animal protection. My dear Claudiu even got himself a pin that says (in German) "Meat is Murder!" and has fake blood splattered across it, to show his support of my new dietary habits. Or to make fun of me and all other vegans slash animal rights activists. Either way I'm okay with it. I got a sweet pin too:


Even better than the pin, though, was the fact that they were offering vegan desserts for one Euro a piece! I had a German specialty - a pastry made with nuts and coconut flakes - and treated Claudiu to a vegan banana muffin. (Which he found quite to his liking, but it was good "not because it's vegan, but because they must just be good bakers." Uh-huh.) The desserts were so good, actually, that we had to go back several hours later to try a few others. My favorite was the vegan Black Forest cake - it was impossible to taste a difference.

Lastly, reviews on the Tofutta ice cream are in: another two thumbs up! It doesn't taste quite like regular ice cream, but it doesn't taste weird, either. Just delicious. Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. ok so im not sure i believe that this vegan dessert is sooo tasty but i will trust you. i will say this only you would locate a vegan tent in the land of meat and potatoes! maybe its a sign....... keep it up! im sooo impresed cause we all know i would fall flat on my face w/o my bacon! haha! ♥

    ReplyDelete