Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 8, or "1 Week!"

Yep, it's official: I've been vegan for an entire week. You don't look impressed. Fine. Check back in another three.

And even more great news: I've had my box of cornflakes now for three days, and it looks like it's going to make the jump into four days quite easily. (But after that, I can't make any promises.) So now I can eat cereal for breakfast whenever I want! I sound like a little kid. . .

Breakfast (cereal) and lunch (salad) were pretty standard on Day 8, so in this post I'd like to share with you one of my favorite vegan snack options - half a banana with peanut butter. It's a little high in calories, but still very nutritious:



Yesterday I actually was feeling a little under the weather (maybe just to spite the Skinny Bitches, who promised that I wouldn't get any more colds or allergies). I had to give a huge presentation at 6 pm, and I was just feeling like I didn't have the energy. So I did what I would have done in the 'old days' - I bought myself a diet coke. Here's the funny thing: I used to drink diet cokes pretty regularly, maybe not every day but several times a week. But I took one sip of it yesterday and literally poured the rest down the sink. It tasted awful! This is kind of hilarious, because I have never found a diet coke anything but satisfying. So maybe my taste buds are changing. . . A change I like! Oh, and by the way, I'm feeling 100% better today. I think my immune system is running in full gear.

To celebrate my healthiest week ever (and I was healthy before, so this is definitely saying something), I decided to cook dinner for Claudiu, who generously offered to come even though he knew it would be a vegan meal. I wanted to try a recipe I read on VeganYumYum for Spicy Lemon Pepper Pasta with Broccoli. It turned out pretty well, but not my best work. The "Lemon Pepper" part was unfortunately non-existent - next time I'll have to add a lot more of those two flavors. The amounts indicated in the recipe were definitely not enough.





For dessert, I served "ice cream" with sliced peaches and cinnamon. Over all, I'd say it was a success, but that next time will most assuredly be even better.


1 comment:

  1. well, actually, you can't see what i look like....because if you could....you would see that i AM impressed.....VERY!!!!!
    can i come for lunch ....or.... dinner.....or BOTH!

    ReplyDelete